Valentines Day – beware of chocolate

Valentines Day is coming and chocolates are a sweet gift to give to your sweetie, but be sure your lovable sweet dog does not eat any.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs. It contains a substance known as Theobromine found in cocoa beans. Theobromine is a stimulant compund similar to caffeine and can cause serious toxic effects such as vomitting, heart irregularities, seizures and death. Different types of chocolate have different amounts of theobromine which makes some types of chocolate more toxic than other types. Luckily milk chocolate, the most common chocolate that is given on Valentines Day, is one of the least toxic. However, if you have a small dog <10 lbs, as little as 2 ounces can be a problem.

Check out this interactive chart  from National Geographic which calculates how much chocolate is toxic to your dog depending on its weight…. Chocolate Toxicity Chart for Dogs

If your dog consumes chocolate please seek immediate veterinary assistance. If you are near Crown Point, IN gives us a call we will be glad to provide you with assistance.

Happy Valentines Day from all of us here at Oak Hill Animal Clinic!

Speak Your Mind

*